Monday, September 10, 2012

Rolling Out the Red Carpet

Since next summer's road trip was turning into ths fall's adventure, I realized I needed something more like a "touring motorcycle" than my very elemental 1972 BMW 750/5 or my very used up Kawasaki KLR 650 with the distinct Mexican accent. Serendipitously, a neighbor and frequent touring companion had decided to sell his '91 BMW K75RT and wondered why I did not buy it from him. I didn't want to disappoint him and bought it on the spot. I knew I'd have to break the news to Carol and I hoped her brother's involvement in the imminent excursion, and my roll as mentor and guide, would soften the impact of the news that yet another hydrocarbon-burning toy was moving into our barn and sharing space with our five indifferent cats.

A "K-series" BMW motorcycle is an odd bird to someone accustomed to the opposed aircooled cylinders that had been the tradition of BMW since the 1930's. These bikes have 3- or 4-cylinder liquid-cooled motors with overhead cams, fuel injection, and electronic engine management, much like the motor in an automobie. But the motor lies flat on its side with the spark plugs adjacent to one's left foot and the crankshaft, transmission and driveshaft along the right side of the bike. With the help of the internet, I dug in and began to service and prepare this beast in anticipation of Jim's arrival...now scheduled for September 6th. 

As one might expect, the infamous Mr. Murphy and his surprises began to emerge. A seized cooling fan taught me that Bavarian Motor Werks believes a small piece of plastic with an electric motor and a propeller is worth $349. An eBay motorcycle dismantler sold me one for $75. When it finally arrived, it didn't work and he woud not take it back. Off to eBay's "dispute resolution center" and hopefully an eventual refund. In the meantime, a South Carolina purveyor, with the compelling tradename "Beemer Boneyard," had the bare fan motor, new, in a Bosch box, for $79. With the help of another neighbor, I refurbished the old fan with a new motor. Remembering how all the plastic bodywork of the full-fairing RT model screwed back together was another probem all together.

In the middle of all this, September 6th arrived, and at 7:00 PM Jim pulled into my garage. He had ridden 13 hours from Virginia via 2-lane roads and had to be lifted from the bike and served Advil for supper. Around midnight on September 10th, I finally had everything on my end ready to go. Again, Advil was a helpful adjunct. 

Tuesday, September 11th was seconds away. We were to set out at 6:00 AM, due north for St. Ignace, Michigan and the great Mackinak Bridge, where we would turn left, into the sun, and head west as far as US Route 2 would take us. Our only plan was to get across the "Going-to-the-Sun Road" and the high Rocky Moutain continental divide at Glacier National Park near the Canadian border before it closed on September 17th.





I knew Jim would expect the red carpet treatment
No one told me all used K-bikes have seized cooling fans


The inimitable "Uncle" Jimmy:
Packed and nowhere to go


No comments:

Post a Comment